Black Bean and Yam Quesadilla

I'm kind of in love with these right now. They are good, but I think I love them because for some reason I feel so healthy when I eat sweet potatoes or yams (and I've made this recipe with both). And I love that they are easy.

Prep time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 quesadillas (so you probably need to double it, or more)

1 teaspoon oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons water
1 cup peeled grated yam (about 1/2 medium, and again, sweet potato works)
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed & drained (we always put more than this)
Salt & Pepper
Tortillas, any kind
1/4 cup shredded monterey jack or mozzarella cheese

Optional: Salsa, Guacamole, Sour Cream

1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add cumin and water, and continue to saute for 1 minute, stirring. Add the yam and beans, stir; cover and cook for about 6 minutes or until yam is tender but not mushy.

2. Remove skillet from the heat. Season dish with salt and pepper and put yam mixture in small bowl. Wipe skillet down.

3. Place tortilla in skillet and add some yam mixture to half the tortilla. Then sprinkle with some cheese. Cook the tortilla for about 30 seconds and then fold tortilla in half and cook each side for about 2 minutes, until cheese is melted and filling warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Serve with prepared salsa, guac, or sour cream if you want. Which I love it with guac and sour cream, but then I do feel a bit less healthy. :)

Comments

  1. I can vouch for this recipe because Jeff made these for Dad and I while we were visiting, and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois