Homemade Tortillas


Oh my. I have never made tortillas before, but after these babies, I will NEVER buy flour tortillas again! Now someone send me a corn tortilla recipe and I will be set.
These were kind of soft and chewy like Cafe Rio's. Great texture, delicious, and extremely simple to make.
Go and make some now!

Homemade Tortillas

2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (i have no idea what this does, but hey, they turned out yummy)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp shortening
3/4 - 1 cup hot water

In the bowl of a heavy duty mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the shortening and combine until crumbly.

With the mixer running, slowly add 3/4 cup hot water. Mix until the dough starts to come together, adding more water if necessary; the dough should be about the consistency of Play-Doh.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. While the pan is heating, divide the dough in to 8-10 balls. Roll out as thin as possible, into circles. (I actually rolled all the dough out together, cut out circles with a bowl, and then rolled out each circle even thinner)

Place raw tortilla onto the hot skillet and cook until large bubbles appear, about 1 minute. Flip and cook the other side. And viola, scrumdidliumptious tortillas!!

Bon Appetite!

Comments

  1. I've made the ones from Our Best Bites several times, but I just cannot seem to get them thin enough, some day when I have the space and money I want to buy a tortilla press! Did yours cook okay? Sometimes I have raw spots and/or overcooked spots. I will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of homemade tortillas! I learned to make them on the mission. I too would love a corn tortilla recipe. We've been eating only corn tortillas pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this recipe; I found the tortillas elastic which makes things easier I think. I also tried them with 1 cup wheat flour and that also worked. We much preferred them over the store wheat tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... what did you serve inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was just spicy chicken, adobo rice, tomatillo dressing, salsa, lettuce, and cheese. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois