Lentil Vegetable Soup


Josh got me to try some lentil soup at Corner Bakery. I was nervous, because I have not liked lentils in the past, but in the past few years I have grown to love many things I hadn't previously. And I liked it! So I immediately went on the hunt for a "copy cat" recipe, and though I have no idea if this is in fact the same, all three of us enjoyed it! 

Lentil Vegetable Soup

2/3 c green lentils
1/3 c orange lentils (you can really use whatever lentils you wants)
1 lg onion, roughly chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lg tomato, chopped
1-2 carrots, diced
1/2 c mushrooms
1/2 bunch spinach or 2-3 big leaves of kale, chopped fine
1/4 c corn
2-4 c vegetable/chicken broth
S&P to taste

Combine and wash all lentils and set aside.
In a pot, heat some olive oil and saute onions, carrots, and garlic till onions are translucent.
Add the mushrooms, and some salt. Saute a few minutes until they get soft, then add the tomatoes. Cover and let them get mushy. Add the lentils, spinach, corn, and broth.
Adjust the salt and pepper and bring to a rapid boil.
Lower the heat and simmer till the carrots are tender and the lentils, spinach, and corn are cooked through; about 30 minutes. (I would go less next time, because we would have liked the lentils to not be so soft/mushy)
We also topped each bowl off with some cilantro, which was delicious!

Note: Add water in the absence of broth.

Bon Appetite!!

Comments

  1. Meagan, the recipe says add mushrooms, but I don't see them in the ingredient list.

    I love lentils and love adding them to soup. This looks similar to recipes I've had, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! thanks for letting me know. i revised it. i usually end up just throwing in as much or little as I want, and don't really measure the veggies :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Galette des Rois