Shakshuka

I'll tell you, I've had a fear of eggs in main dishes. Jeff has helped me push my limit with dishes such as biscuits and egg gravy, egg casserole, eggplant parmigiana with hard boiled eggs and each has been a fantastic success to my taste buds. So when I saw the following recipe, I recognized a fear of mixing eggs with a tomato sauce but told myself I couldn't judge until I tried it and maybe it would be a success like Jeff's dishes.

You can probably guess it was a success or I wouldn't be posting it right? Not only was it tasty, but it is cheap, easy, quick and good chance you have many if not all the ingredients, well at least that is the case for us. :)

(i got this from smittenkitchen.com and she got it from somewhere else - she says you can have it for breakfast, we had it for dinner)


Shakshuka [Eggs Poached in Spicy Tomato Sauce]

Serves 4 to 6

1/4 cup olive oil
5 Anaheim chiles or 3 jalapeƱos, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped (wish we would have left more seeds in for more spice)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
Kosher salt, to taste
6 eggs
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (i'm not a feta fan, but I bought it for Jeff and decided to try it, it was better with it, in my case, just a tiny bit :)
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley


Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chiles and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.

Put tomatoes and their liquid into a medium bowl and crush with your hands. Add crushed tomatoes and their liquid to skillet along with 1/2 cup water, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Season sauce with salt.

Crack eggs over sauce so that eggs are evenly distributed across sauce’s surface. Cover skillet and cook until yolks are just set, about 5 minutes. Using a spoon, baste the whites of the eggs with tomato mixture, being careful not to disturb the yolk. Sprinkle shakshuka with feta and parsley and serve.

Smittenkitchen served it with warm pitas, we poured ours over rice, jasmine rice in fact and it was really good, I think couscous would also be good)

Comments

  1. So I just made these again, they were less good, not bad, but less good and I'm convinced it was my cheapy canned tomatoes. So beware, if the tomatoes taste like a can, your shakshuka will be less good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois