Butternut Squash Lasagna

We are butternut squash fans and like to try new ways of preparing it.  I saw this recipe from Giada and wanted to try it.  Though butternut squash risotto & warm butternut squash salad are better in my opinion, this was a pleasant dish.  Jeff and I would give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10 stars.

Things I learned from making this:  It is a side dish (as Giada said in the episode where she made it).  I have never had a lasagna for a side but after having this, I can see how that would work.  I think it would go well with a nice chicken main dish.   

I made it before church and then heated it up when we got home.  It is time consuming to make but seems to be a dish you can make in advance and finish later.

Also, my bites that had more white sauce and a thin layer for squash, were really yummy.  The bites with more squash and less white sauce, were good.  If I were to make this again, I wouldn't layer the butternut squash as thick, just enough to cover the pasta but that is about it.  And if you end up with extra squash, feed it to your 6 month old, or make a soup, or sneak it into your mac and cheese. 

I would make a tad bit more sauce too.  You may or may not need it for the lasagna, and if you end up with extra, you can use it later in the week.  It was pretty good.

Lastly, the original recipe called for cookies but we didn't have them or ingredients to make them but I would like to try it with.  I also think next time I would add some red pepper flakes for some heat.

So here you go, the recipe as I made it but the original recipe can be found here on the food network.  (the above picture is their picture too)


Butternut Squash Lasagna

 Serves: 8 - 10

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • water
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 cups whole milk (when I'm feeling cheap, I just use regular milk)
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
  • 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Cut the squash in half and rub olive oil over the flesh.  Sprinkle with salt & pepper.   Bake in the oven flesh side up on a cookie sheet for about an hour/ hour and a half (depending on size of your squash) on 400.  Remove when a fork can easily go into the squash.  Cool and then scoop squash out into a food processor.  Puree the squash and add some water if it is too thick.  I added about a third of a cup.  I wanted it to spread easily.  Season the squash puree, to taste, with more salt and pepper.  (I think this is where I would add the pepper flakes, or maybe some garlic)
Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. (I think you just do half so you don't have to try to fit all that sauce in your blender)  Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. (we used a slightly smaller dish) Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.
Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois