Creamy White Macaroni & Cheese


On Master Chef this guy made mac and cheese with a crust on top, which I've never had but thought it sounded good. It just so happened that one of my books had a recipe for this so I had to try it! I wasn't paying attention and bought regular cheddar instead of white cheddar, so I'd like to try it again with white. As well as I found a recipe that used potato chips instead of crackers for the crust, so that sounds good for the next time around.
Josh really liked this, and I thought it tasted like a grilled cheese sandwich, and turned out really creamy:)

Creamy White Mac & Cheese

For the topping-
1/2 stick butter (4 T)
1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed

For the macaroni & cheese-
1/2 lb dry elbow macaroni
1 cup pasta water
2 T butter
2 T all-purpose flour
3/4 c whole milk
3/4 c heavy cream
Pinch of nutmeg
2 c white cheddar, shredded
4 oz. cream cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees; rub inside of four 8 oz baking dishes (or one 2 qt. baking dish) with softened butter. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta.

Melt 1/2 stick butter for the topping in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add crackers and cook until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Season with salt; remove from heat and set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water; set pasta aside.

Melt 2 T. butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute, then gradually whisk in milk, cream, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then add cheeses, stirring until melted. If sauce seems too thick, add reserved pasta as needed. Toss sauce with pasta.

Coat buttered dishes with a dusting for the crumb topping, then divide macaroni mixture among them; if using separate dishes. Top macaroni mixture with remaining crumbs and bake 20 minutes.

Bon Appetite!

Comments

  1. After having this a day later, I've decided I would do a couple things different:

    1. Make extra sauce to pour on when heating up for 'seconds'.
    2. Add less crumbs. (And I've already mentioned I'd like to try a different crumb topping)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff always adds some topping when he makes mac & cheese, and it is yummy. I also love when he adds slices of tomatoes towards the end of baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very good. I'll have to try it. But, what crumb topping will you try next time?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we do bread crumbs, sometimes add some butter & parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs & use that, cornflakes are easy and have a good crunch, wheat germ is soft and healthy....so many options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. K, I tried this, with the white cheddar, and I'll be honest, I didn't notice a big taste difference between the white and yellow.

    I thought this was good, but really rich, so a little bit went a long way. I think you could take out the cream cheese and be just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois