Baked Crepes with Mushrooms

I'm a tad apprehensive about mushroom sauces and any food item smothered in mushrooms.  So why I saw this recipe and thought I had to make it, I don't know.  I'm glad I did though.  Everyone loved them.

What I really loved was I was able to make the crepes & mushroom filling ahead of time.  I assembled them together about an hour before our friends came over for dinner and popped them in the oven.  (don't assemble them until ready to bake)

This made about 8 crepes.

Ingredients:

Crepes (I used the buckwheat crepes, recipe also on this blog)
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2-3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 - 1 1/2 pounds fresh mixed mushrooms, sliced (I used the normal white ones, baby portabella, & brown cremini)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/2 cup grated Parmessan, divided


Instructions

Make your crepes as you normally would, then set them aside.


Cook onion in butter & oil with 3/4 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened & just about to brown, about 7 minutes.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring.  Add mushrooms & cook until tender, about 8 minutes, stir occasionally.  Stir in cream & milk and simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.  (my sauce was still pretty thin until I took it off the heat and then it thickened a lot more) Remove from heat and stir in chives & 1/4 cup cheese & set aside.

Preheat oven to 375.  Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan/baking dish.  Take a single crepe and spread about 1/4 cup mushroom filling on crepe.  Then fold into quarters to form a triangle. Repeat until all your sauce or crepes are used.  Place crepes into pan, overlap slightly, however you need to get all the crepes in your pan.  If you have leftover filling, spoon it over the tops of the crepes.  Sprinkle the crepes with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.  Bake until crepes are golden & edges are crisp, about 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois