WORLD'S BEST ROLLS!

When I came across this recipe at Our Best Bites, I was skeptical that these were truly the world's best rolls. So, I decided to make a batch to see for myself. And, I have to admit, they are probably the best rolls I have made. Dad gave them a try too, and agreed. They are very delicious. From here on out, I won't be using any other recipe than this one for dinner rolls.



2 cup whole milk (don't use 1% or skim)
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1/3 cup butter
2 tsp. salt
4 1/2 tsp. ( 2 pkg. active dry yeast)
2/3 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
3 large eggs, beaten
8 - 9 cups all-purpose flour


Combine milk, 1/2 c. sugar, butter, and salt in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter melts.
Remove from heat; pour into a large mixing bowl (I used my Bosch mixer), and allow to cool to lukewarm.
While the milk mixture is cooling, dissolve the yeast and 1 Tbsp. sugar in warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Add 3 cup flour to the milk mixture. Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Add yeast and beat on high for 3 minutes. Add beaten eggs; stir in as much remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough. This dough should be very soft-it will be coming away from the sides of the bowl, but it will stick to your finger when you touch it. Part of what makes these rolls so good is that they're so soft and light; if you add too much flour, they will be heavy and dense.
Place the bowl in a warm place* and cover with a clean damp towel; allow to rise 1 hour.

*I turn the oven on at 275 degrees for 5 minutes, then turn off and place dough inside to rise.

Punch down. Turn half the amount of dough out onto a lightly floured working surface. Spray 2 9x13 glass pans with cooking spray. Roll dough into a rectangle and then cut into 12 equal-sized portions. A pizza cutter works well for this step. This dough should be very easy to work with. Shape each portion into a ball and place in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining dough for the second pan.**

**After rolling out the dough, I used a biscuit cutter to shape half the dough into Parkerhouse rolls. It could also be cut into triangles to make Crescent rolls.

Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with cooking spray, and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. When dough has about 15-20 minutes left to raise, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
When done, spread a small amount of melted butter over the tops of the rolls.

Makes 2 dozen large rolls or 3 dozen small.

This is also a perfect dough for cinnamon or orange rolls.

ENJOY A HOT ONE RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN!

Comments

  1. I'll be excited to try them! :)
    I love 'Our Best Bites'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love that website? I keep telling the kids I want their cookbook (and the kids agree - they've loved everything I've made off their site). If you haven't tried the chicken taquitos you are really missing out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally had whole milk and remembered this recipe at the same time! They turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois