Butternut Squash & Roasted Red Pepper Soup


I don't remember when or where, but at some point I had a very tasty butternut and red pepper soup.  I've searched for similar recipes mixed them together and so far the following is my favorite.  I had a pretty small squash and I had some leftover canned pumpkin in the fridge, so I decided to add the pumpkin to this soup and it turned out just as good.  I also didn't have a full red pepper, so I roasted half a red bell pepper and a half of an orange one, so don't worry about being too exact, this recipe is forgiving.


Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
(serves 4)

1 butternut squash
2 T olive oil + some for roasting
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1 inch of fresh ginger, grated  (I usually don't have fresh and just put some dashes of the dried stuff)
1 hot pepper finely chopped (I prefer a red chili, but if I only have jalapenos, I use them)
4 C vegetable stock
salt & pepper to taste

Cut your butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon.

Drizzle with a little olive oil & canola and place in a baking tray in an oven at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes to an hour, until the flesh is soft.

While that bakes, heat a little olive oil in a large pan and cook the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add the roasted & hot peppers, ginger, and half of the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Once the butternut squash is done, scoop out all the soft flesh and add to the pan. Puree until smooth and add the rest of the stock until you get your desired thickness.

Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes.  Tastes great with some warm crusty loaf of bread.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois