Coconut Ginger Chicken & Vegetables (slow cooker)


The three of us all enjoyed this dish. I especially loved the vibrant color. Abigail keeps asking us to make more. I had hoped it would have more of a coconut punch to it, but it was still yummy. I also think I will add more variety of veggies next time. It calls for coriander, but I had no desire to spend $7 on it, so I substituted a couple herbs. Maybe the coriander would have added something awesome. I'll have to try it another time.
And of course you could make this without chicken, or you could add shrimp, tofu, etc. Then you just pour it over any kind of rice.

Coconut Ginger Chicken and Vegetables
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 inch cube of ginger, roughly chopped
1 small sweet onion, quartered
1 T olive oil
2 T butter
2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs/shrimp/tofu/...optional
2 cans coconut milk, not shaken
2 T cornstarch
1 can of baby corn cobs
Vegetables of your choice (I happened to have broccoli, water chestnuts, bamboo, and carrots. But red bell pepper and snow peas would be yummy too)
For the spice blend
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander (I substituted dill, parsley, tarragon)
1 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp salt

Combine ingredients from the spice blend together and set aside.
In a processor, combine garlic, ginger , and onion. Pulse until it forms a paste.
In the bottom of a slower cooker placed on a burner, heat olive oil and butter. Add pureed aromatics and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, then add spice blend. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Move aromatics to one side of the pot and add chicken pieces to the pot (I used chicken breasts). Cook slightly on all sides, using a sturdy wooden spoon to move it around the pot. It should get coated with the spice mixture.
Open the cans of coconut milk and remove the cream from the top, and set aside. Pour the coconut milk over the chicken.
Drain the corn cobs and add to the slow cooker, then place on base and cook on low for 4 hours.
Whisk cornstarch with the coconut cream until smooth and add to the pot, along with your vegetables. Cook for another half an hour or until you deem the chicken cooked and vegetables hot.
Pour over your rice, and enjoy! I think it might try cilantro on top next time as well.
Bon Appetite!

Comments

  1. This was our fast sunday dish and it was yummy to all 3 of our tummies! Changes we made... I had coriander so we did in fact use it. However I didn't have tumeric and the substitute for that is saffron so I was excited to fianlly use my christmas gift. Then I saw that it needed to soak for 2 hrs and I wasn't that dedicated to the dish so I went with ground mustard. The other change I made was meat choice. We used a firm tofu and it turned out great. Be not afraid of the tofu readers, this is a good dish to experiment with tofu cooking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois