Fresh Strawberry Syrup

I discovered I appreciate pancakes more with the following fresh strawberry syrup.


This recipe is so easy.  I cooked the syrup for a bit longer than the recipe states.  I didn't strain it; I liked the texture with the strawberries.  Great way to use strawberries that you have that might be a bit too ripe for your liking.
 

 Fresh Strawberry Syrup:

  • 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled* and diced, (about 3 cups)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the strawberries are soft and the syrup is thickened and reduced by one-third to one-half in volume, 15 to 18 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature before serving. (If thinner syrup is desired, strain the hot syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container and let cool.)
Yield: 2 1/2 cups


*Tip:  ladies from church said they have success using straws to hull their strawberries.  they stick the straw in the strawberry, starting from the bottom and up through the green leaves.

Comments

  1. I have just discovered this myself!! I am not a pancake person much, but a few weeks ago Abigail and I made some with a berry "syrup", and I found I enjoyed them much better with that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois