Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake

(Picture and recipe from www.alexandracooks.com)

We bought a big container of blueberries at Costco last week and had plenty left over from what I got them for. I expected there to be extra, but I also expected Jon and Koen to love having them to snack on. My second expectation didn't turn out. I learned Jon doesn't care for fresh blueberries as a snack and Koen apparently lost interest in them since the last time he had blueberries.  So I was grateful to come across this recipe that would allow me to use my extra blueberries and hopefully sweeten them up enough for my boys to enjoy.

I pinned this recipe some time ago and it can be found here.  We all very much enjoyed it. I didn't have buttermilk so I followed a commenters suggestion of making my own. I didn't have any lemons on hand, so I did put a little bit of lemon juice in there... but no one noticed. I'm sure the zest would be better and more noticeable. I also used regular table salt, but put in just a tad shy of the tsp that is called for. It was a yummy breakfast dessert. I think this is something that would be great for special occasions (such as Father's Day tomorrow or a birthday) and you could easily switch out the blueberries for another fruit.   Enjoy!

Serves 6-8

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more - zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 Tblsp sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk***

*7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 Tblsp
** This 1 Tblsp is for sprinkling on top
*** I mixed 1 cup milk with 1 Tblsp white vinegar and let it sit for 5 mins. Then I only used the 1/2 cup called for, to replace the buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.

2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl.

3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.

4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 mins. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: I had to bake mine 30 minutes longer (totaling over an hour) before it was cooked all the way through. I also used an 8x8 pan.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

Comments

  1. Abigail and I just made this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Kristin and I both agreed it just tasted like a great big muffin, and it would be great used as a celebration cake! delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I didn't have buttermilk either, and decided just to use regular milk (that i made from powdered milk, the food storage stuff). Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I made adjustments, just because I always try to decrease the sugar and increase the whole grains in recipes. So I replaced 1/2 to 3/4 cup of white flour with wheat flour. I also did a little under 3/4 cup of sugar. And I added the lemon juice from the lemon because I didn't want to waste it. And everyone liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois