Sheri Blacker's Spring Salad


This is a favorite recipe of mine, but since I'm the only one in the house who likes it and it makes a HUMONGOUS amount, I rarely get a chance to make it. So, I was excited when Mom asked me to bring a salad to the family dinner last week, knowing just what I would make!!

Spring Salad by Sheri Blacker

For sugared almonds: melt butter in skillet, add sugar, then almonds. Stir until sugar is dissolved and almonds are coated and toasted. For whatever reason, I have yet to have these turn out like Sheri's. Mine are always like almond brittle, so I just break it up into little pieces after it has cooled. Mom suggested I try making it with no butter, but heat the almonds and sugar over low heat until carmelized, adding a tad bit of water if needed, so I will try that next time.

¼ cup sliced almonds
3 Tbls butter
1/3 cup sugar
For salad combine:
1 head red or green leaf lettuce, torn
3-4 cups spring mix
4 cups baby spinach
1 bunch red or purple grapes, cut in half
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 package dried cran-raisins (I have the big Costco bag, so just added about 2 handfuls)

For dressing combine the following and mix well until sugar is dissolved:
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup olive oil
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian dressing mix

When ready to serve combine all ingredients and top with sugared almonds.

Again, this makes a salad that's big enough for probably 20-30 people. We had quite a few leftovers, and really, all you can do with leftovers is throw it away! So, I definitely recommend scaling this down if not making for a big, big group! I made everything ahead of time, just put the dressing in a canning jar and then combined it at Mom's, that way the prep work was all done beforehand.



Comments

  1. I totally agree. This is a yummy and eye-appealing salad. Thanks for sharing, Lyndsay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this for the second time, and this time I added mandarin oranges (from the can), and it was still delicious and added another color. I think cantelope cut up into small pieces would be good as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois