Butternut Squash Soup

courtesy: myrecipes.com

I actually made this a few years ago, and did not like it, until I added tons of cheddar cheese, basically making it a cheese soup. But over the years I've grown to love a lot of new things, and decided to give it another try, without all the cheese. The verdict: Delicious! We all loved it! It's a perfect dish for this wonderful autumn weather. Plus it is super easy and quick.
Unfortunately, I did not get a photo of my own. I'll work on that next time.
Remember, always try things again and again. You can grow to love new things constantly!

Butternut Squash Soup

3 Leeks (white part only), sliced (I actually used yellow onion since I did not have leeks)
4 Med carrots, chopped
Butter for sauteing veggies
3 lbs Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
6 c. broth
3 med zucchini, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/3 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c half & half (I actually used almond milk, since I didn't have half&half)
grated cheddar for garnish, optional
s&p to taste
I think adding some cayenne pepper would be delicious, as well.

Over medium heat, saute the leeks or onions, and carrots in butter, approx 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, broth, zucchini, thyme, pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until veggies are tender.
Cool to luke warm. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add cream/milk, mix well, and heat thoroughly but don't boil.
Garnish with cheese and cracked pepper

Bon Appetite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois