New Delhi Vegetable Curry and Couscous


So, horrible photo. But A) Indian food can go either way: Beautiful, yummy looking bright colors everywhere, or what looks like every color blended together. And B) I get home from the gym after the sun is down, so the lighting is gross by the time I get plating my dish.
It's the taste, though, that truly matters. And I personally liked this dish. The girls were eh about it, but I'd like to think they'll learn. Josh and I both agreed it needed some extra s&p than the original recipe called for, and I ended up loading on a whole lot more cilantro than what's pictured. Then, I was very pleased. Plus it is extremely filling. 
So if anyone makes this, let me know what you think!

New Delhi Vegetable Curry and Couscous

1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
5 cups assorted vegetables cut into 1 inch pieces (cauliflower, onion, sweet peas, asparagus, and bell pepper)
1 can garbonzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1 3/4 cups broth
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt (I'd personally add more here. I added more at the end because it lacked salt)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups fresh baby spinach (5oz)
1 can coconut milk
2/3 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cups boiling water
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a slow cooker, combine sweet potatoes, veggies, and beans. In a medium bowl stir together broth, curry powder, ginger, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and the cayenne pepper. Pour over mixture in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low-heat for 6-7 hours or on high for 3 -3.5 hours. Once cooked, stir spinach and coconut milk into the cooker. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes more or until spinach is wilted.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine couscous and the 1/8 tsp salt; pour boiling water and oil over mixture, cover with lid, turn off the heat but leave on the burner, and let stand for 5 minutes.

Serve veggie mixture over couscous. Top each serving with yogurt and cilantro.

Bon Appetite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois