Rice Pudding

I've been making rice pudding for Christmas for the last few years.  I like that it is simple and can be made ahead of time.  I have a couple of recipes I like, this is just one of them. I like using arborio rice for rice pudding, though this recipe calls for regular white rice.  Sometimes I like to eat it warm.  This recipe folds in whipped cream, which is yummy, but I don't think is traditional if you want to make what your ancestors made.  Our ancestors had rice pudding with less fat and sugar, and is good, just different.I like to add almond extract as well, or sometimes I do cinnamon....there are lots of variations.

Rice Pudding


Ingredients:

8 cups of milk (taste better if it has more fat in it, but still okay with less fat)
4 cups of COOKED medium grain rice (I have used long grain and been fine.)
3-4 cups sugar
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Add milk, rice, sugar and salt into a large pan and mix together.  Into a separate bowl, crack the 2 eggs and mix well.*

Cook rice mixture on medium heat for 45 mins to an hour, stirring often.  Mixture should thicken.  Take pan off heat and let cool down a bit.  Then slowly the warm rice pudding mixture to the eggs, one tablespoon at time, until you have equal parts rice pudding to egg ratio, if you haven't already added the eggs. Slowly incorporate the egg picture into the rice pudding in the pot. 

Cook the rice on medium heat again, bringing it to a boil, stirring constantly.  When it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and pour rice pudding into a glass container.  Cover with saran wrap, or a lid and refrigerate for 6-24 hours. 

Whip up 4 cups of whipping cream with extract.  Mix the whipped cream with the rice pudding until it is fully enveloped.  Keep pudding refrigerated until ready to serve.  Last for about a week in fridge. 

Enjoy!


*I often add the eggs at the beginning, and cook the eggs with the milk and rice and don't have any problems.  However, most recipes choose to add the eggs later on, but I find it more time consuming and haven't noticed a quality difference, though to be honest, I haven't made it both ways back to back, so maybe I would notice if I did. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois