German Chocolate Cake Frosting - using dates

I saw this recipe and I was curious.  I was also worried that I would hate it but decided I needed to know if I hated it or not.  Turns out, we all liked it.  This is not healthy but it has to be a better choice than some of the frosting recipes I saw.


Ingredients:

12 large Medjool dates (about 1 cup firmly packed)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon oil (coconut or canola, or butter)
pinch of fine salt (sea salt or table salt)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1/2 cup pecan pieces


Directions:

Place the dates in a heatproof bowl and pour hot water over them util they are covered.  Let them soak for 10-20 minutes, then drain.  Once dates are cooled, remove and discard the pits.  (the dates we bought we already pitted)

In a food processor, combine the soaked pitted dates, water, maple syrup, vanilla, oil, and salt.  Process until smooth.  Scrape down sides as necessary.  Add the coconut and pecans and pulse just a few times.

Frosting is ready for an 8x8 or 9x9 cake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois