Another Dutch Baby recipe

 For so long I used my mission compagne's recipe.  She is the one that introduced me to dutch babies.  Then I found another recipe that made more at once which was handy so I switched to that.  I saw this recipe and decided to give it a try, and I made 2 batches because I knew a single batch wouldn't satisfy my kids.  I liked this recipe.  I would say our family isn't too picky when it comes to dutch babies.  This recipe puffed up even higher than my regular recipe, which is always fun.

I made one batch with whole milk and one with non dairy milk and if my memory is correct, we didn't notice a difference.  I need to check that out again because if that is true, that is good news for me. I try to limit the dairy, especially since we seem to love cheese and really don't need more dairy.


Rees likes his dutch babies with applesauce or lemon and sugar.  The girls seem to prefer Nutella.  I can eat one plain and I can easily eat it with berries and cream, or Nutella, or lemon and sugar....


Ingredients:

1 Tablespoons salted butter

4 large eggs

2/3 cups whole milk

2/3 cup flour (so, I often use white wheat, which 100% makes them heavier, so if I'm in the mood for better taste, I stick with white white flour)

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 450 F with a rack in the center of your oven.  

2. In a small saucepan, melt 2 T butter. Set aside to cool a bit.

3. In a blender or in a bowl, mix together: eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt and cooled melted butter.

4. Place a deep pie dish in the oven with the remaining 2 T flour.  (you can use a 10-12 cast iron skillet, or an 8x8 pan.  I use our larger pie dish over our small pie dish.). As soon as butter has melted (keep an eye on it), remove pan from oven.

5. Pour batter into hot dish and put the dish back into the oven.  Cook for 20-25 minutes.  Don't open your oven before it rises or you won't get the soufflé you want.

6. After it has puffed and is golden brown on edges, remove from oven and serve warm with whatever toppings you like.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois