Cherry Clafoutis

 There are many clafoutis recipes.  I typically enjoy them all, but I prefer clafoutis that is creamy rather than rubbery.  I also prefer pitted cherries.  I find it a better eating experience if I don't have to spit pits out each bite.  I tried the following recently and this one seems pretty good to me.  


  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar (I want to try 1/3 sugar next time)
  • 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus more to butter your pie dish
  • 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
  • A couple pinches of salt
  • 1 cup (235 ml) milk (I had fat free so I did about 2/3 milk and 1/3 cream - I will need to experiment on this because I think this changes the texture)
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 generous (245 grams) cups sweet cherries, pitted if you wish - I covered the entire bottom of my deep pie dish and I quartered the cherries.  I haven't done that before but I think it was a positive change.
  • Optional - powdered sugar

Place prepared cherries into greased pie dish.  I like a deep pie dish.  You can use a cake pan.  Heat oven to 400 F degrees.

Whisk eggs and sugar together until the color has paled a bit.  Whisk in the flour and salt.  Then slowly whisk in the milk.  Slowly whisk in the cooled melted butter.  Add almond and vanilla extract.  

Pour batter over the cherries.  Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes.  Ideally the middle is just set, or maybe even ever so slightly jiggly.  Once baked, let it rest for 10-15 minutes.  You can sprinkle sugar on top if you like.  Enjoy warm, room temperature, or chilled.  I prefer warm and room temperature.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois