Acidic Tomato Help - Baking Soda

I've had bad luck with my canned tomatoes tasting acidic, metallic, like they are from a can.  I've heard of and used the sugar solution, adding some sugar to the tomatoes seems to help.  However, I don't like my tomato sauce to taste sweet.  Then I came across the idea of using baking soda, tried it last night and it worked.

Bad part, no recipe.  So start out small and add if need be.  Last night for our sauce that used 2 large cans of tomatoes, I probably used 3 pinches of baking soda.  But it will depend on how acidic the tomatoes are, so again, start out small because you can always add more, but you can't take it out once you mix it in.

Comments

  1. that's a cool little trick. after years of making spaghetti sauce, Josh and I really love our final product! I would like to try this trick though for other tomatoey things. I'm not a big sweet tomato fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you'll need to post your spaghetti sauce recipe.

    I don't think we will ever have a final product. I love so many kinds, spicy, chunky, creamy....yum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

what do you think?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois