Lemon 'Souffle' Pancakes with Berries


I'll give you the recipe first and then our reviews at the end.

Lemon Souffle Pancakes with Berries

Recipe:

3/4 cup milk
2 egg yolks
Grated lemon zest from either 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar
pinch of salt
2 egg whites

Toppings:

Berries, sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries....use them all, or just one....
Honey
Powder sugar


Instructions:

1. Mix egg yolks, milk, vanilla, lemon zest & lemon juice in medium bowl.  Add melted butter and mix well.

2. Sift wheat & white flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in large bowl.  (I just use a whisk)  Make a well in center of flour mixture and gradually pour in milk mixture and stir.  Mix until dry ingredients are moistened but try not to over mix it.

3. Beat eggs whites in a small mixing bowl with an electric mixer, until soft peaks form.  Fold egg whites into the batter in the large bowl.  Be gentle, you want the airy nature of your egg whites.

4. Heat up a pan and spray with PAM.  Place 2 tbsp of the batter onto the pan.  (I know, that sounds small but go with it.  Too much batter made for very flat pancakes.)  Cook until the cake turns golden brown on underside and then flip and cook until other side is golden.

5. Serve warm.  Everyone can top pancakes as they like.


Reviews:

Jeff:  'These are girl pancakes.'  (I agree.  I can totally see these at a Relief Society brunch) Jeff liked his with honey.


Allison: Mine didn't really turn out very 'souffle' and I wonder if that might be due to me using some wheat flour or maybe just poor execution.  The pancakes were not heavy and I think beating the egg whites can lighten up a wheat pancake, but these weren't super puffy as I has hoped.  And in this family, I think we rather just whip up normal pancakes rather than take the time to separate yolks from whites and beat the whites.... I really liked the lemon (which I think gave it that girly factor previously mentioned) and I could see myself making these once in awhile for some change, but not weekly.

Rees:  'These are delicious.  Dad can you start using this recipe.'  Rees ate tons.

Isla:  I didn't ask her for a review but she too ate several.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian Lasagna - Moosewood

Lentil Vegetable Soup

Galette des Rois